Wednesday, June 22, 2011

And Then There Were Five. . .

     I'm sad to say we've lost a chicken. I'm assuming it was some sort of predator (maybe a fox?), but I didn't actually see it happen. I was in our garage and heard some serious squawking coming from the outside, so I went out and saw the girls running across the yard a toward the road. My first priority was to get them away from the road. When that was done I did a count and there were only five. I assumed the sixth one had just toddled off into the woods, so I went to look for her. After a while of looking, she was still no where to be found. So now we're down to five. My husband weed whacked some of the bushes bordering the yard to give predators less space to hide near the coop, but there's really only so much we can do. Hopefully, this was a one time thing.




    Speaking of chicken, I made a yummy chicken in the crock pot this Sunday. It's was 4.5lb chicken with about 1/2cup of chopped onion in the cavity. Then I rubbed a tablespoon of butter on the outside of the bird and sprinkled paprika and some chopped parsley from the garden on top, along with the juice of one lemon. I cooked it in the crock pot for 4-5hrs. It was delicious, but as is always the case with chicken in the crock pot (at least in my experience), the chicken totally falls apart when you try to take it out of the crock. This worked out the next day though, when I used the left over shredded chicken to make pulled BBQ chicken sandwiches.


No comments:

Post a Comment