Friday, March 11, 2011

Seeds Are Here

     The majority of the seeds I ordered came in! I've been tearing open my mailbox every day for about a week looking for them. They're all organic except for some strawberry seeds I'm ordering from Johnny's, which didn't have an organic equivalent. I took inventory of my seed starting supplies, but all I have left are ten 3" peat pots from last year. Looks like I'll be making a  trip to the garden center this weekend. Everything I read says to use a seed starting mix, but all of my successful seedlings were started in compost last year; I figure, why mess with a good thing? I'll also be making a run to the hardware store to get light bulbs for my grow light.
      I ordered several heirloom varieties this year, including an heirloom pie pumpkin and Rouge D'Hiver Lettuce. I bought a couple different kinds of tomato seeds with the intention of making and freezing plenty of tomato sauce- a bit ambitious considering the pitiful showing my tomatoes had last year but try, try again as they say. I also ordered an adorable eggplant called a Rosa Bianca eggplant. Baba Ganoush anyone? I'm looking forward to spinach, zucchini, peas, green beans, carrots, squash, and a bunch of other veggies this year. Of course, I still need to construct several more raised beds and have a truckload of compost delivered, but that wont be happening until the snow melts.
     All in all, I'd say it was an exciting day. There's something hopeful about warming weather and seed starting.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment