Sunday, March 6, 2011

Ready, Set, Garden!




Ok, this title may be a bit premature, especially considering we're still buried under several feet of snow and I'm writing this while wearing long underwear, two layers of socks, a t-shirt, a sweatshirt, and another sweatshirt on top of that. Spring will come, however, and then I will begin my first year truly dedicated to a more sustainable away of life. Before continuing, I should give some history as to how I came to this point.
Three years ago I was working in a job I hated with people that I liked even less. I booked a trip to England to get away for a week. It was actually this trip to England that planted a little pastoral seed in my brain. After spending several days in the bustling city of London, my then-boyfriend-now-husband and I boarded a train to Bath. Being from small towns in Maine, our brains were still on overload from all of the London stimuli. It was one of the most relaxing experiences of my life to look out the train window and watch the English countryside roll by, green grass and sheep out to pasture. Of course this was after we were kicked off the train in Reading to await the next train we were actually supposed to be on- you know, a minor hiccup. Moving on.
I thought how lucky the farmers of those sheep were. They got to be outside with the fresh air, connected to the land. They had a freedom to their lives and a personal investment in their livelihood that I envied and was denied from my job. I had no illusions as to how much work it was, but it seemed a worthy work. I decided to do it. I could be the farmer instead of envying the farmer. I would be able to work for myself and do something that felt productive and worth while.
At that point the dream was vague. I wanted to be a farmer but I wasn't sure what kind of farmer or exactly what it would entail. I’d barely ever planted anything before. Three years later, after some trial gardening and a lot of research and help from a green thumbed mother, I’m at least on my way to a large organic kitchen garden that will greatly increase my personal sustainability. I'll grow, pick, cook, and freeze my own vegetables. It’s not a farm yet, but it’s progress. This blog will chronicle my adventures towards a more self-sufficient way of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment