Sunday, July 24, 2011

Freezing the Harvest

     I am exhausted. Maine is finally winding down from the heat wave that had our thermometers reading 101 degrees Fahrenheit, and I'm winding down from a very busy weekend. I started the weekend off with a second job (part-time), swimming at my mom's house, and then going to the drive-in to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II, and Horrible Bosses. We finally got home around 1:30am Sunday morning.
     Today was busy with the usual Sunday things: dog walking, chicken coop cleaning, house cleaning, laundry, etc. I also had to shred and freeze a bunch of zucchini from the garden. I shredded about seven small to medium zucchinis, which filled a quart freezer bag. It'll be good to have for making zucchini bread later. I had three zukes left, so I used two to make zucchini fries and have one left over. The zucchini fries were tasty and I would recommend the recipe from food.com. That being said, I think I beat the egg whites too much so the breading clumped on the zukes instead of coating. They're good but won't be winning any food presentation awards.
Shredded Zucchini
     I also had a bunch of green beans ready to pick from the garden. Already eating the zucchini, I blanched the green beans and froze a quart. Blanching is easy, but involves quite a few bowls, a stock pot, and a colander so get ready to do some dishes. You can find blanching directions here.
   
Zucchini Fries with some un-breaded zucchini.

No comments:

Post a Comment